World of DevilCp!!!

Friday, October 10, 2008

Singlish is just not my way

Here in Singapore, the speaking of Singlish sort of sets the tone and the mood of a conversation. Since I started to speak good English and in the process eradicate any trace of Singlish in my language, people have asked me why I speak so uptightly and so tersely. They are so used to speaking with the 'la', 'hor', 'meh', 'leh', 'ah' that any conversation lacking of those words just means it is a serious or uptight conversation.

So much so that I have given up trying to explain to them. Once when I tried to explain to someone that I was just avoiding speaking Singlish, she had the audacity to tell me to embrace the Singaporean culture. For goodness sakes' if they want to dig their own grave and lay inside it, that does not mean I have to follow suit.

The government has addressed the problem many a times. But it seems to be to no avail. Their "Speak Good English" Campaigns seem to be fruitless.

Singaporeans fail to realize that speaking Singlish is bad for us and it puts a dent in the image that we are trying to create for ourselves. The Global Hub image that all strive the best for building it.

I have once asked my sister to change the way she speaks and writes by trying not using Singlish, ending up she told me that most of her friends are doing the same as she is. So instead I just tell her: " If most of your friends eats shit, so i resume that you would do the same, since you have the same kind of logic with them! ".

And for the worst now, youngster are creating their new style of Singlish. I'm able to understand Singlish, but as for the new Singlish that now a days youngster created, its like having pain in the neck to understand. For this you can name it proudly as Gibberish, or u can also name it as Rubbish language. Why is that so? Because you can't hardly understand what the hell they are writing or trying to mean. Which I foresee it as a very unhealthy sign for all.

It is about time they learn that speaking Singlish is not embracing the Singaporean culture, but more like 'helping to push' the future generations by digging a big hole for them to oops, fall into. Maybe what they really need is to jump out of the box to see whats really going on in the real reality.

No comments:

I Support NuffNang!!

DevilCp Logical Thinking: ... Coming together is the beginning, Keeping together is the process, Staying together is SUCCESS!!! "To be or not to be, the answer lay within your heart. I am who I am to be by your side. Don't have to ask why, Cuz I'm always here to protect my loves one, till the last day of my life. As long as I'm needed, I'll be there. As then, come what may..... "